The thing I look forward to the most from Spring is fresh green vegetables. Green beans, peas, curly lettuces and whatnot. Bon Appetit and other food blogs I’m following are ‘sprouting’ with very fresh looking recipes, tickling my cooking bone and so here we are… new easy lunch recipes for a nice picnic in the park or a lazy day in.
Chicken + Beans + Peas Yoghurt Salad on Wholewheat toast
(Inspired by Bon Appetit April 2012)
400 grams chicken breast
1 pinch dried basil
1 pinch dried oregano
1 bay leaf
2 cups of water
100 gram green beans, parboiled and cut into 1 cm pieces
100 gram snap peas, parboiled and cut into 1 cm pieces
3/4 cup yoghurt
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
8 slices toasted whole grain bread**/ lettuce leaves
- Poach chicken by placing chicken breasts in a bottom of a small heavy bottomed pot (I used my 24cm LC cast iron pot, but you can use any pot). They should fit in a single layer but fit quite snugly. Cover chicken with water. Add herbs and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to the lowest setting. Partly cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat completely and then let the chicken sit in the hot water for another 15-20 minutes.
- Slice or shred chicken, put aside.
- In a small bowl whisk yoghurt, olive oil, garlic, a pinch of salt and pepper
- Put beans, peas, chicken, dressing, parsley and chives in a medium bowl, sprinkle with lemon juice, toss to coat
- Serve spooned over toasted bread (or lettuce leaves)
**I made two kinds of wholewheat bread with gouda and sun-dried tomatoes filling. To die for!